Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Tide, by Anthony J. Melchiorri

The Tide, by Anthony J Melchiorri, narrated by Ryan Kennard Burke
Captain Dominic Holland (Dom) is head of a covert operations team which investigates bioterrorism. As he and his team check out some suspicious activity on what was believed to be an abandoned oil rig, bone-armored mutant men begin to wash up on shores of countries around the world. Soon, citizens become crazed - brutally attacking and devouring people. Dom's team rushes to find a cure to the bioweapon, as civilization crashes around them. 


I found this book in the new releases in Audible and thought I'd try it out. The genre is basically bioweapon zombie apocalypse, but the "zombies" aren't actually zombies. They are living humans who develop bony armor around their bodies and get brain activation of unthinking violence. It was a fast-paced, high-action book. The science was very reasonable - clearly Melchiorri did his research - which I like to see in biotech books (otherwise I tend to roll my eyes and criticize every little mistake). Yes, the race for a cure moved along much too fast to be realistic, but that's the nature of the genre, not a problem with Melchiorri's writing. Nobody wants to read a book with the pacing of real life, after all. :) 

I think this book will be quite enjoyable to anyone who likes biotech apocalypse thrillers, especially those who enjoyed Jonathan Maberry's Patient Zero. But beware, it is the first in a series, and the story just cuts off at the end - there's not a satisfying conclusion. Luckily, Melchiorri is releasing the second one hot on the heels of the first, so this may not be an issue for many readers. 

I decided to give this book four stars despite the fact that there wasn't a satisfying ending. The science was excellent and it was just what a biotech thriller should be. 

4 comments:

  1. Bad science also gets in the way of me enjoying certain stories.

    I always appreciate it when an author takes the time to make science and technology plausible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a pretty important part of writing science fiction.

      Delete
  2. Accurate science is important to me too! In fact, I'm always nervous to pick up books with some sort of biological disaster for free it will be done poorly I'm glad this one worked for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read very many indie books, to be honest. I'm a slow reader (most of my completed books are audio), so I'm careful about what I read. There are many fantastic indie authors out there, but there are way too many horrible authors who don't even edit their books. (Or if they do, the editor is awful.)

      Delete