Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2016

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee


In this timeless story, a little girl named Scout comes of age during a difficult time for her family. Her father, a lawyer, is defending a black man charged with the rape of white woman. Scout learns about racism from both children and adults. 

Part of the charm of this story is that it is all through Scout's eyes, so sometimes you have to infer what's going on in the adult world - sometimes it takes a careful reading. However, Scout is intelligent and she picks up on a lot of stuff, so it's the perfect combination of inference and easy-reading. I loved the ending for a couple of reasons - it was beautiful and touching, and I laughed because I could tell exactly why my mom said "I didn't get it." She's so literal. :)

This book is considered one of the first of the Young Adult/teen genre, though I feel that it's only placed there because of the age of the protagonist. I would highly recommend it to everyone teen and up. 


4 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this one - always a favourite of mine. Have you seen the old film version? It's one of the few films that lives up to the book, I think - the little girl who plays Scout is so great in the role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the old film version, but I think it's time to watch again. :)

      Delete
  2. This is indeed a great book that has rightfully become part of our modern literary cannon. Scout is indeed an extraordinary character.

    I also agree that it transcends the young adult genre.

    ReplyDelete